1 LOVE T.O. is excited to announced that we’ve partnered with Nike Canada to create our very own running team for this year’s Sporting Life 10k race. We’ve asked a few of our closest friends to run and help us fundraise for Camp Ooch.
Camp Ouchigeas “Ooch” is celebrating 30 years of providing magical camp experiences for children affected by cancer. It costs $3,500 for a 2-week stay at Camp Ouch with on–site care for the kids, so we need your help in sending as many kids to camp as possible! Please help us by making a donation to #Team1LOVETO by clicking the link below.
Over the next month leading up to race day (Sunday, May 11th), we’ll be training with the help of the Nike+ Running App. The app recently added a ‘Coach’ feature, which specializes in training programs that are built around your needs. Our team has signed up for an intense training program to help get us in shape and race ready.
Follow our team members to track our progress and cheer us on!
Big thanks to Nike Canada for outfitting our team with the latest Flyknit Lunar 2′s, Air Pegasus 30+ and dry-fit tees, tights and shorts. We may not be the fastest team, but we look good when we run!
For more info: sportinglife10k.ca
Follow @1LOVETO #1LOVESL10K
Toronto-based comedian Trixx gave us a list of the “Top 5 Things People Do When They Think Spring Has Arrived” …but winter stays around like an ex who won’t take a hint!
1. People sometimes take their Jordan’s out early only to find out that had they just checked the weather before going outside, they would avoided the winter snow salt that destroys a perfectly good pair of number 4s.
2. Girls get a nice spring pedicure only to discover that 10cm of snow fell while they were asleep and now that lovely crappy palm tree design on their toenails that was done by an angry Korean chick that wasn’t tipped, will have to be covered by Nike socks and Uggs for another week!
3. People take their beautiful car they’ve been dying to show off at Tim Horton’s illustrious parking lot to the car wash, only to be hit with slushy ice pellets as they leave the car wash on the way Tim Hortons. By the time they get to the parking lot, it looks like Xzibit unpimped their car because the cheque bounce!
4. There’s that great feeling that comes over you when you’re in the mood to play some outdoor basketball. You call up a few guys and make the plan to go shoot hoops. But if one of you had just checked the weather channel or kept your TV on CP24, you would’ve known that 5 crappy CM of snow fell while u were playing NBA2K14, and it’s just another night of Game of Thrones re-runs!
5. Nothing makes me chuckle more than when a girl wants to show off her new summer body that she’s been working hard on all winter long. She celebrates this by getting her hair done and she’s ready to make some men drool. However, while she was underneath the dryer at LaKwanda’s Booyeah Get ‘Em Guurl Hair Salon, Mother Nature didn’t receive her child support cheque in time and gives the Jane and Wilson area an unnecessary blizzard, leaving that walk to the car from the salon the angriest walk ever, because it was sunny outside earlier and she didn’t walk with an umbrella!
We want to hear your suggestions! Tweet them to @1LOVETO #SpringHasArrived
A new Rob Ford video surfaced yesterday, but it’s not what you think. A nine year old girl uses quotes from Ford’s crack denial and admission to try and get out of punishment from her dad. The video’s intended message is simple, “our children are watching.”
Toronto-based cartoonist Kurtis Scott has turned his daily commute on the TTC to a web series of hilarious, but very true commentaries entitled, “Subway Thoughts”. We’ve included a few of our favourite episodes that we know you can relate to…
THE MIDDLE SEAT
CRAZY EYE CONTACT
For more info: kurttoons.com
Play Buzz has come up with an interactive online game aimed at helping you figure out which Toronto neighbourhood you should actually live in. Give it a try and let us know what neighbourhood you get?!
Recently the popular website BuzzFeed.com featured an article listing “40 Reasons To Move To Toronto”. Although some of the reasons are just for jokes (ie. #8 – Toronto rappers are polite and wholesome… while the mayor smokes crack…), there are still a lot of real reasons to move to Toronto. Some of our favourites include #3 – The World’s Most Multi-Cultural City, #9 – Toronto’s Street Meat Is Superior To Yours, #23 – Kensington Market Rocks.
To see all 40 reasons CLICK HERE.
Follow @1LOVETO #Toronto
10 Tips To Shoot Street Photography by SoTeeOh
01. Have fun – This is usually the bonus rule that people throw in last to add one more thing to the list. For me its my first rule. Don’t stress out trying to take perfect pictures, just have fun. Take pictures of other people having fun. Everyone loves having fun, so taking pictures that are fun is a great way to start out.
02. Time to reflect – One of my favourite techniques is to look for interesting reflections. Puddles, store windows, metal hand rails and car mirrors can all make for some really cool shots. just get close to the reflective surface so you get a strong reflection and then look for a creative angle.
03. Colour your world – Interesting or vibrant colour combinations can really transform an image. In a city like Toronto its not hard to find locations with lots of great colours. Fruit markets, gardens and street festivals can provide plenty of colourful subjects. This shot was taken at the EX last year. The sky, the midway signs and even the people add lots of different colours to this photo.
04. Get to the point – All parallel lines converge in the distance. When you take a picture of parallel lines converging, it draws the viewers eyes into the middle of the photo bringing all the attention to a central point. This technique is called leading lines. Great places to practice this are alleys (like this one at Honest Ed’s), train tracks, and roads (just be safe!).
05. Add context – The little details in your surroundings can really set off a photo by adding a story to it or creating a context for your image. Paying attention to these small details can really add to your photos. Here I happened to catch a beautiful sunset at Jane and Eglinton but I already take so many sunset pictures so I was worried that it would get kind of boring. But by shooting the sunset through this bus shelter window the image is now stamped with an exact location that adds extra meaning to this sunset.
06. Golden hour – Golden hour is the hour after sunrise and before sunset. Its my favourite time to shoot. Because the sun is still low in the sky it casts long shadows and the soft warm light makes everything look cozy. Grab your camera and go for a walk in golden hour and you will instantly see how much difference the right kind of light can make in your photos.
07. Seize the moment – You know that feeling when you’re looking at something and then you think to yourself “Oh this would make a great picture”? Well chances are you’re right so take the picture! Any camera will do the trick. Whether is a pro DSLR, a point and shoot, or your phone, its just about capturing that moment and any camera is the right camera.
08. Fall in Toronto is amazing – Need I say more? From the first signs of changing leaves you have about 4 or 5 weeks to enjoy amazing colours and animated skies. It only comes once a year though so make sure you grab your camera and enjoy it.
09. Look up! – Another key to good photos is perspective. Try to look at things from unusual perspectives. This photo was taken at Bay St. and Front St. looking straight up from the base of the building. You will be surprised how much more interesting something can seem if you just look at it from a slightly different angle. Look straight up, climb up high and look down, kneel, crouch, squat. Do something different when you’re taking a photo and you will be rewarded with an interesting picture.
10. Patience is a virtue – Once you settle on a scene to take a picture of, you can often make that picture even better by waiting a little while until something else comes into the frame to make things just a little bit more interesting. Here I was getting ready to take a picture of the skyline when I noticed a plane flying towards city so I lined up my image and then waited until the plane was directly over the CN Tower before pressing the shutter. I probably only had to wait an extra 30 seconds but it made all the difference.
As Amex Ambassadors we get the chance to enjoy the incredible perks of being an Amex Cardmember and share those experiences with you! Over the past 3 years we’ve had the opportunity to attend exclusive VIP events, live concerts, traveled the world with Amex UNSTAGED, and enjoyed fine dining at its best (just to name a few).
Check out some of our highlights from 2013!
EXPERIENCE 1: City & Colour Road Trip #AmexEffect
In June of 2013, with the help of Amex’s Platinum Concierge Service, we booked a driver for our road trip to Niagara-on-the-Lake to see City & Colour perform live. Not only did we arrive in style, but our VIP tickets allowed us quick entry and access to an exclusive area within the park, complete with food, drinks, private washrooms and most importantly NO LINE-UPS! That’s what we like to call the #AmexEffect.
Take a look at more concert photos HERE!
Downtown Toronto is known around the world as being a unique shopping destination, with local shops from Kensington Market to Queen Street West always offering you something special.
As young entrepreneurs we understand how important it is to support small businesses within our communities, so we took part in Amex’s SHOP SMALL program. We got the chance to visit 5 of our favourite shops in Toronto and showcase them on our blog. Our favourite shop (which has recently closed and is now moving to a new location) is Magic Pony, the only store of its kind in Toronto, offering designer toys, cool housewares, poster art and some hard to find books and magazines.
Check out the other 4 shops we profiled HERE!
Last but not least, one of our favourite things to do is TRAVEL. Having the Amex Platinum card allows us to travel like rock stars! Skipping security lines at Pearson, exclusive Lounge access with complimentary food, drinks and rest areas, 24/7 personal Concierge providing premium service and travel advice… it doesn’t get much better than this!
We hope that you’ll join us on our journey for 2014…
For more info: facebook.com/AmericanExpressCanada